Wednesday 5 June 2013

6 weeks away - Niagara Falls Women's Half Marathon

I work for a magazine called iRun. Have you heard of it? Awesome magazine I must say. Www.iRun.ca

Back at the beginning of April, my co-worker and I got talking about running. As I mentioned in my last post.. I've been trying to run again. Since my surgery back in December, I've been back hard at the gym (doing a program i never thought I could do. I will save that for another post) and I have ran a couple of times. 

So, Lisa mentioned the Niagara Women's half marathon and says she might be running it. I then get this bright idea that I want to do this run. A few weeks pass by, I don't hear anything from Lisa... At this point I kind of forget about the possibility of participating in this race. Until one morning Lisa comes in to the office and says... "Oh ya, are you still running?" I get stupid excited until I realize the race is in 6 weeks. Oh crap, I can only run about 7-8 km. That's a long ways away from 21 kms. *insert scary face here* lol time to kick my training in to high gear!

Run run run!    May 2013 Thank God for my friend Kate. She has run so many runs. She gave me tons of tips am keeps me motivated. Especially over the 6 weeks leading up to my race. 

June 1, 2013 - I'm in Niagara Falls for my first half marathon. 

I get up early to take a short 1-2  km run so that I can stretch. I run about 50 feet and I get this nasty pain stream through my right calf muscle. OUCH!! I was literally walking down Victoria St looking down at my calf saying out loud NO NO NO!!! This is not happening the day before race day! I was so upset... Ice, stretch, laying on my back with my legs raised is how I spent the night. Lol

June 2, 2013 - race day is here and I have only ran about 13-15 km at once. According to my running friends, they kept saying "don't worry, you are going to be just fine. No worries." 

Stressed out about my calf muscle, tired because the people across the hallway partied all night, I'm as ready as I can be to run this run. Plan of action... Walk/run and do the best I can. GOAL: to just cross the finish line in one piece. 

I'm ready! 

Start line... Let's get this race started!! :-)

Start line - (I know, you see finish line) with my eyes closed... Here we go! Who knows what I was thinking. Lol

1 or 2 km Into the race I meet a really nice woman. She starts chatting with me by saying "you look like you're running about my pace (7.09 I think was the average pace), do you mind if I run with you?"  We both agree that having someone to chat with, will make the race that much easier. Off we go!! 

Meet my new running buddy, Michelle! You can follow her, her husband and friend's Blog at 3cheaprunners.com. This Was Michelle's second half marathon. Go Michelle!! 

I don't know how to thank Michelle. Because of her, I made it through this race. I learned so much from her in a matter of a couple of hours. I also had the pleasure of getting to know her as well. So thankful that she friended me along the way. Unfortunately blisters creeped up on her feet and slowed her down a little. I felt so bad leaving (she insisted) her and I didn't want to lose my rhythm. I think we parted ways about 15 km into the race. I couldn't believe how good I was feeling. As each kilometer passed, I just kept plowing through. 

Feeling strong! I think I'm about 15/16km in the run. But not too sure. 
With just 200 m away from the finish line, I come around the corner ready to sprint. And as I tried to pick up speed, the wind hits me so hard that I feel like somebody's holding my shirt from behind. 

About a 100 m away from the finish line... Push Bren, PUSH!!
The END...

Somehow I manage to run this entire run. With the exception of stopping at the bathroom, to take a sip and a minute walk in between to catch my breath. 

CHIP TIME: 2:30:11!!! I am so proud and SOOOOO HAPPY!! 

Weather: It started out cold, WINDY and wet but, it warmed up as we got in to the run. Mother nature was very good to us. I am so thankful that the rain held off. Unfortunately the wind didn't let up at all. 

MY STATS:
My next long run... Ottawa Army Run Half marathon in Sept. 2013 with my beautiful Sister Lisa! GOAL: 2:15. 
I'm hoping to do a couple short runs before that. 

WHY DO I RUN????

Because I can! I'm a 5 year Hodgkins Lymphoma cancer SURVIVOR. And I had back surgery (to remove a cyst from inside my pelvic bone) Dec. 2012. I am blessed with my health! I don't take that for granted! 



My first half marathon medal! 

4 comments:

  1. Great post Brenda, thanks for sharing! And thanks for letting Michelle tag along with you for the race as well, I know she appreciated having someone to run with :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike! I'm a terrible writer. You guys inspired me to start sharing. I wrote this one late last night. I need to go back and correct a few sentences at the end. Lol I am SO thankful to have met Michelle. It was a blessing! She kept me paced and occupied so that I didn't think too hard. I just enjoyed the day. I felt terrible leaving her. I look forward to your posts and hope to meet you one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to meet up with you at another run...next time blister free of course...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely Michelle!! How are your feet? We should plan a race!

    ReplyDelete